What do Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders do?
Set up, operate, or tend machines to coat or paint any of a wide variety of products, including glassware, cloth, ceramics, metal, plastic, paper, or wood, with lacquer, silver, copper, rubber, varnish, glaze, enamel, oil, or rust-proofing materials.
- Observe machine gauges and equipment operation to detect defects or deviations from standards, and make adjustments as necessary.
- Determine paint flow, viscosity, and coating quality by performing visual inspections, or by using viscometers.
- Weigh or measure chemicals, coatings, or paints before adding them to machines.
- Select appropriate coatings, paints, or sprays, or prepare them by mixing substances according to formulas, using automated paint mixing equipment.
- Set up and operate machines to paint or coat products with such materials as silver and copper solution, rubber, paint, glaze, oil, or rustproofing materials.
- Turn dials, handwheels, valves, or switches to regulate conveyor speeds, machine temperature, air pressure and circulation, and the flow or spray of coatings or paints.
- Start and stop operation of machines, using levers or buttons.
- Record operational data on specified forms.
- Start pumps to mix solutions and fill tanks.
- Operate auxiliary machines or equipment used in coating or painting processes.
- Fill hoppers, reservoirs, troughs, or pans with material used to coat, paint, or spray, using conveyors or pails.
- Perform test runs to ensure that equipment is set up properly.
- Clean machines, related equipment, and work areas, using water, solvents and other cleaning aids.
- Thread or feed items or products through or around machine rollers and dryers.
- Attach hoses or nozzles to machines, using wrenches and pliers, and make adjustments to obtain the proper dispersion of spray.
- Remove materials, parts, or workpieces from painting or coating machines, using hand tools.
- Transfer completed items or products from machines to drying or storage areas, using handcarts, handtrucks, or cranes.
- Attach and align machine parts such as rollers, guides, brushes, and blades, using hand tools.
- Examine, measure, weigh, or test sample products to ensure conformance to specifications.
- Hold or position spray guns to direct spray onto articles.
- Place items or products on feedracks, spindles, or reel strands to coat, paint, or spray them, using hands, hoists, or trucklifts.
- Prepare and apply stencils, computer-generated decals, or other decorative items to finished products.
- Paint small items and perform touch-up painting, using paint brushes.
- Spray coated products with salt solutions to determine how they will resist corrosion.
Related Jobs (Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders)