What do Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders do?
Operate or tend equipment, such as cooling and freezing units, refrigerators, batch freezers, and freezing tunnels, to cool or freeze products, food, blood plasma, and chemicals.
- Adjust machine or freezer speed and air intake in order to obtain desired consistency and amount of product.
- Monitor pressure gauges, ammeters, flowmeters, thermometers, or products, and adjust controls to maintain specified conditions, such as feed rate, product consistency, temperature, air pressure, and machine speed.
- Record temperatures, amounts of materials processed, and/or test results on report forms.
- Read dials and gauges on panel control boards in order to ascertain temperatures, alkalinities, and densities of mixtures, and turn valves in order to obtain specified mixtures.
- Correct machinery malfunctions by performing actions such as removing jams, and inform supervisors of malfunctions as necessary.
- Start machinery such as pumps, feeders, or conveyors, and turn valves in order to heat, admit, or transfer products, refrigerants, or mixes.
- Assemble equipment, and attach pipes, fittings, or valves, using hand tools.
- Scrape, dislodge, or break excess frost, ice, or frozen product from equipment in order to prevent accumulation, using hands and hand tools.
- Weigh packages and adjust freezer air valves or switches on filler heads in order to obtain specified amounts of product in each container.
- Stir material with spoons or paddles in order to mix ingredients or allow even cooling and prevent coagulation.
- Start agitators to blend contents, or start beater, scraper, and expeller blades to mix contents with air and prevent sticking.
- Measure or weigh specified amounts of ingredients or materials, and load them into tanks, vats, hoppers, or other equipment.
- Load and position wrapping paper, sticks, bags, or cartons into dispensing machines.
- Insert forming fixtures, and start machines that cut frozen products into measured portions or specified shapes.
- Place or position containers into equipment, and remove containers after completion of cooling or freezing processes.
- Inspect and flush lines with solutions or steam, and spray equipment with sterilizing solutions.
- Position molds on conveyors, and measure and adjust level of fill, using depth gauges.
- Sample and test product characteristics such as specific gravity, acidity, and sugar content, using hydrometers, pH meters, or refractometers.
- Activate mechanical rakes in order to regulate flow of ice from storage bins to vats.
Related Jobs (Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders)