What do Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic do?
Set up, operate, or tend grinding and related tools that remove excess material or burrs from surfaces, sharpen edges or corners, or buff, hone, or polish metal or plastic work pieces.
- Inspect or measure finished workpieces to determine conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments such as gauges or micrometers.
- Lift and position workpieces, manually or with hoists, and secure them in hoppers or on machine tables, faceplates, or chucks, using clamps.
- Set up, operate, or tend grinding and related tools that remove excess material or burrs from surfaces, sharpen edges or corners, or buff, hone, or polish metal or plastic workpieces.
- Observe machine operations to detect any problems; make necessary adjustments to correct problems.
- Set and adjust machine controls according to product specifications, utilizing knowledge of machine operation.
- Measure workpieces and lay out work, using precision measuring devices.
- Select machine tooling to be used, utilizing knowledge of machine and production requirements.
- Study blueprints, work orders, or machining instructions to determine product specifications, tool requirements, and operational sequences.
- Mount and position tools in machine chucks, spindles, or other tool holding devices, using hand tools.
- Activate machine start-up switches to grind, lap, hone, debar, shear, or cut workpieces, according to specifications.
- Move machine controls to index workpieces, and to adjust machines for pre-selected operational settings.
- Brush or spray lubricating compounds on workpieces, or turn valve handles and direct flow of coolant against tools and workpieces.
- Compute machine indexings and settings for specified dimensions and base reference points.
- Slide spacers between buffs on spindles in order to set spacing.
- Thread and hand-feed materials through machine cutters or abraders.
- Adjust air cylinders and setting stops to set traverse lengths and feed arm strokes.
- Repair or replace machine parts, using hand tools, or notify engineering personnel when corrective action is required.
- Maintain stocks of machine parts and machining tools.
Related Jobs (Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic)