What do Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders do?
Operate or tend machines to prepare industrial or consumer products for storage or shipment. Includes cannery workers who pack food products.
- Sort, grade, weigh, and inspect products, verifying and adjusting product weight or measurement to meet specifications.
- Observe machine operations to ensure quality and conformity of filled or packaged products to standards.
- Monitor the production line, watching for problems such as pile-ups, jams, or glue that isn't sticking properly.
- Attach identification labels to finished packaged items, or cut stencils and stencil information on containers, such as lot numbers or shipping destinations.
- Stock and sort product for packaging or filling machine operation, and replenish packaging supplies, such as wrapping paper, plastic sheet, boxes, cartons, glue, ink, or labels.
- Package the product in the form in which it will be sent out, for example, filling bags with flour from a chute or spout.
- Inspect and remove defective products and packaging material.
- Start machine by engaging controls.
- Remove finished packaged items from machine and separate rejected items.
- Count and record finished and rejected packaged items.
- Adjust machine components and machine tension and pressure according to size or processing angle of product.
- Stop or reset machines when malfunctions occur, clear machine jams, and report malfunctions to a supervisor.
- Stack finished packaged items, or wrap protective material around each item and pack the items in cartons or containers.
- Regulate machine flow, speed, or temperature.
- Tend or operate machine that packages product.
- Supply materials to spindles, conveyors, hoppers, or other feeding devices and unload packaged product.
- Clean and remove damaged or otherwise inferior materials to prepare raw products for processing.
- Clean packaging containers, line and pad crates, or assemble cartons to prepare for product packing.
- Secure finished packaged items by hand tying, sewing, gluing, stapling, or attaching fastener.
- Clean, oil, and make minor adjustments or repairs to machinery and equipment, such as opening valves or setting guides.
Related Jobs (Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders)