What do Potters, Manufacturing do?
Operate production machines such as pug mill, jigger machine, or potter's wheel to process clay in manufacture of ceramic, pottery and stoneware products.
- Press thumbs into centers of revolving clay to form hollows, and press on the inside and outside of emerging clay cylinders with hands and fingers, gradually raising and shaping clay to desired forms and sizes.
- Adjust wheel speeds according to the feel of the clay as pieces enlarge and walls become thinner.
- Mix and apply glazes, and load glazed pieces into kilns for firing.
- Position balls of clay in centers of potters' wheels, and start motors or pump treadles with feet to revolve wheels.
- Raise and shape clay into wares such as vases and pitchers, on revolving wheels, using hands, fingers, and thumbs.
- Prepare work for sale or exhibition, and maintain relationships with retail, pottery, art, and resource networks that can facilitate sale or exhibition of work.
- Smooth surfaces of finished pieces, using rubber scrapers and wet sponges.
- Design clay forms and molds, and decorations for forms.
- Move pieces from wheels so that they can dry.
- Pull wires through bases of articles and wheels in order to separate finished pieces.
- Examine finished ware for defects and measure dimensions, using rule and thickness gauge.
- Perform test-fires of pottery to determine how to achieve specific colors and textures.
- Maintain supplies of tools, equipment, and materials, and order additional supplies as needed.
- Verify accuracy of shapes and sizes of objects, using calipers and templates.
- Operate drying chambers to dry or finish molded ceramic ware.
- Start machine units and conveyors and observe lights and gauges on panel-board to verify operational efficiency.
- Adjust pressures, temperatures, and trimming tool settings as required.
- Operate pug mills to blend and extrude clay.
- Operate jigger machines to form ceramic ware, such as bowls, cups, plates, and saucers.
- Teach pottery classes.
Related Jobs (Potters, Manufacturing)