What do Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic do?
Set up, operate, or tend machines to roll steel or plastic forming bends, beads, knurls, rolls, or plate or to flatten, temper, or reduce gauge of material.
- Adjust and correct machine set-ups to reduce thicknesses, reshape products, and eliminate product defects.
- Monitor machine cycles and mill operation to detect jamming and to ensure that products conform to specifications.
- Examine, inspect, and measure raw materials and finished products to verify conformance to specifications.
- Read rolling orders, blueprints, and mill schedules to determine setup specifications, work sequences, product dimensions, and installation procedures.
- Manipulate controls and observe dial indicators in order to monitor, adjust, and regulate speeds of machine mechanisms.
- Start operation of rolling and milling machines to flatten, temper, form, and reduce sheet metal sections and to produce steel strips.
- Set distance points between rolls, guides, meters, and stops, according to specifications.
- Thread or feed sheets or rods through rolling mechanisms, or start and control mechanisms that automatically feed steel into rollers.
- Position, align, and secure arbors, spindles, coils, mandrels, dies, and slitting knives.
- Direct and train other workers to change rolls, operate mill equipment, remove coils and cobbles, and band and load material.
- Fill oil cups, adjust valves, and observe gauges to control flow of metal coolants and lubricants onto workpieces.
- Record mill production on schedule sheets.
- Install equipment such as guides, guards, gears, cooling equipment, and rolls, using hand tools.
- Signal and assist other workers to remove and position equipment, fill hoppers, and feed materials into machines.
- Calculate draft space and roll speed for each mill stand in order to plan rolling sequences and specified dimensions and tempers.
- Select rolls, dies, roll stands, and chucks from data charts in order to form specified contours and to fabricate products.
- Activate shears and grinders to trim workpieces.
- Remove scratches and polish roll surfaces, using polishing stones and electric buffers.
- Disassemble sizing mills removed from rolling lines, and sort and store parts.
Related Jobs (Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic)