What do Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders do?
Set up, operate, or tend continuous flow or vat-type equipment; filter presses; shaker screens; centrifuges; condenser tubes; precipitating, fermenting, or evaporating tanks; scrubbing towers; or batch stills. These machines extract, sort, or separate liquids, gases, or solids from other materials to recover a refined product. Includes dairy processing equipment operators.
- Set up or adjust machine controls to regulate conditions such as material flow, temperature, or pressure.
- Monitor material flow or instruments such as temperature or pressure gauges, indicators, or meters to ensure optimal processing conditions.
- Start agitators, shakers, conveyors, pumps, or centrifuge machines, then turn valves or move controls to admit, drain, separate, filter, clarify, mix, or transfer materials.
- Examine samples visually or by hand to verify qualities such as clarity, cleanliness, consistency, dryness, and texture.
- Collect samples of materials or products for laboratory analysis.
- Maintain logs of instrument readings, test results, and shift production, and send production information to computer databases.
- Test samples to determine viscosity, acidity, specific gravity, or degree of concentration, using test equipment such as viscometers, pH meters, or hydrometers.
- Measure or weigh materials to be refined, mixed, transferred, stored, or otherwise processed.
- Clean or sterilize tanks, screens, inflow pipes, production areas, or equipment, using hoses, brushes, scrapers, or chemical solutions.
- Inspect machines or equipment for hazards, operating efficiency, malfunctions, wear, or leaks.
- Dump, pour, or load specified amounts of refined or unrefined materials into equipment or containers for further processing or storage.
- Connect pipes between vats and processing equipment.
- Communicate processing instructions to other workers.
- Remove clogs, defects, or impurities from machines, tanks, conveyors, screens, or other processing equipment.
- Assemble fittings, valves, bowls, plates, disks, impeller shafts, and other parts to equipment in order to prepare equipment for operation.
- Install, maintain, or repair hoses, pumps, filters, or screens to maintain processing equipment, using hand tools.
- Turn valves to pump sterilizing solutions or rinse water through pipes or equipment or to spray vats with atomizers.
- Remove full containers from discharge outlets and replace them with empty containers.
- Pack bottles into cartons or crates, using machines.
- Operate machines to process materials in compliance with applicable safety, energy, or environmental regulations.
Related Jobs (Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders)